All- I am looking for a little advice. Our company is reorging a little and I have picked up another direct report. There are a couple of unique circumstances and I would like to get off on the right foot. While I am honored to be given additional responsibilities I am facing the following challenges:
1. She reported to the CEO prior (I am two levels down from the CEO) and I am not sure how much direction/management she has been given over the years. The thought is that I will be able to do more day to day management.
2. Formal reviews/goals/achievement/job description records are pretty thin. If it was a peer or anyone other then the CEO I would sit down and discuss.
3. I was given 12 hours notice of the change and had very little time to game plan. She is our one man marketing/advertising/PR department. I currently manage our Financial Operations (accounting) so this is a new skill set that I need to manage.
I think this is a good move for the CEO (freeing him up to focus on more strategic ideas), the company (a little more bang for our marketing dollars), the employee (everyone appreciates a well defined job and structure) and myself (another area of influence) but I don't want to stumble out of the gate.
1. How to I go about discussing the change/position with the CEO?
2. How do I manage an area where I have little experience or knowledge (think I need to brush off the coaching pod cast at least)
3. Any other tips or advice (or thread if this topic has already been covered)
I can certainly provide more details if needed. Thanks for any and all input. Roger