Had some fantastic feedback this morning regarding my O3's that I started in September last year.
A direct was in my office this morning taking me through his first monthly report - thank you Manager Tools Conference! - and he volunteered the following:
1) When it started, he though 'oh my, John obviously thinks I'm not doing my job, he needs to check up on me'. He worried about this to his wife!
2) He now realises he has 4 times a month in that he can discuss vital issues with his boss. He has confidence that he has the opportunity to do so.
3) He feels managed - but in a good way!
4) He feels that it is the first time a manager/supervisor has 'taken an interest' in him and his work.
5) He understood that if you do not do O3's, and reports how can any manager know the performance of his/her direct...he stated 'it's the only way to manage'.
He has made my week, and I gave some feedback about when you provide feedback about my methods, etc.
If I needed any justification of the power of Manager Tools, it was this.
Thank you Mark and Mike, you are not just having great impact on my professional life, but on my directs and ultimately the success of my team and organisation.