Recently, a friend who left our company and became a contractor gave my name to a competitor when they decided to try to fill out their support team. I am happy where I am to some extent but always want to keep the feelers out so when he asked for my resume, I gave it to him to see how the MT resume looked to a hiring manager.
My friend said that the hiring manager was very excited (doing back flips were his exact words) about my qualifications and will be calling me tonight at home to set something up. The trouble is that I have reservations about 1) the company (BIG company but having troubles, layoffs etc) 2) the position (I don't want a lateral). I kind of feel like this :? about the opportunity. There is always the "Until you have something, you have nothing" thing as well, BUT.....
I have reviewed the interview casts and am practicing my greeting, handshake, preparing my flash cards and answers to the two big questions as we speak.
The question: Do I do the interview, knowing full well that I will probably NOT take this position? Is that even ethical? Do I just shut up, give it my best and close saying that I WANT an offer?