I work for a large consumer products multi-national company and I am not pleased with my compensation. So I have applied to jobs in the market and received an offer. The compensation of the offer is an significant increase compared to my current position.
I have a 1-1 with my current manager and would like to provide them with the opportunity to provide a counter offer - with a view that if they come close, I will be happy to stay. I love my job, just not the pay! The reason for writing this is that I seek some guidance in how to approach this - some rather basic questions
1) The current meeting is scheduled for Friday (in two days), I am then taking Monday & Tuesday as vacation. Should I await until Wed?
2) Any suggesting wording that I should use. I would like to prevent it appearing as a threat.
3) Any general do's and don'ts - e.g. should I mention figures? should I mention who the offer is from?
4) Any other advice?
- I am managed remotely, therefore the 1-1 will be on the phone
- I am currently in a project where I am working closely with my manager boss and his boss.
- The project that I am working on is due to close in a few weeks where I am expected to receive a bonus (decided on a case by case basis)
- The offer is from a competitor and I am in sales
Thanks in advance for your help