Appx 6 months ago one of my directs requested to transfer to a new group in my company. He stated he wanted a change and was tired of current work routine (which can be high pressure and deadline driven). His new manager requested an aggressive time line to effectuate transfer.
I was willing to accommodate transfer partly because I felt it would afford me the opportunity to bring in some "fresh blood" with a stronger skill set, that due to growth in the company, the position now demands. I also feel it's never good to hold people up if they want to try something new.
I conveyed to members of my team that the short term pain of finding replacement hire would be worth it for the longer term gain of finding a stronger candidate to fill open position.
So we are 6 months down the road, my staff has had to work short staffed during this period and is overtaxed, we've put in many hours on finding a good candidate to fill open position and are at the stage where we would like to make an offer. Now I have been informed by "big boss" that we should hold up on hiring because they might pull the plug on new group and I might have to take old report back.
Needless to say I was pretty upset by this turn of events with my main point being we should try and find the right place on the bus for my old report and avoid a knee jerk solution. The problem is that it's a small company and there are not a lot of options.
I have expressed my preference that i would like to move forward on boarding new hire and if the need arises I could take old report back as well to work in a different capacity.( i.e. there is plenty of work in my group ) but of course this poses a headcount issue.
Do I have the right to push back hard on this decision or is this something I just have to suck up?