After posting a thank you here and getting an offer, I realize I do need help with multiple opportunities. Specifically #C below where offer was low, not sure if opportunity is right, but no relocation involved. Over the weekend I listened to the casts on Declining and Accepting an offer, and both on how NOT to accept an offer, and I am even more conflicted. This week is a holiday week and I am travelling interntionally week of Jul 8 for business, and they all know this, which buys me a little time.
Company A: Recruiter sent job description (scientific) and I was very excited. I was concerned I lacked certain competencies, but hiring manager said at phone interview (mid-June) he could teach me, but needs things I know. Asked me to e-mail contact info ASAP and he wrote back 5 min later that I have unique skills needed for this new venture. Tried to fly me out for an interview for following week, before his vacation, but couldn't get his staff together. Interview is July 12. It includes dinner with him day before, and 3 hour tour of the area so I am bringing wife and baby.
PRO: Exciting job in hot therapeutic area i want to learn, involving things i'm good at
PRO: Best company (large) in this business, and mentioned in a book I reviewed on this site
PRO: Supervisor sees my potential, and is fairly accomplished himself
CON: Relocate wife and baby from north-east to south-west with their generous relocation program
CON: Leave my therapeutic area after 7 years; though maybe it is time for something different?
Company B: Recruiter found me last week, along with others for opportunity at a large company. After talking with hiring manger, decided I wasn't experienced enough for open job, but wants to create new position because I have unique skills he needs. Had phone interview Jun 28 and he really liked me. Is flying both my wife and me down for interview on July 3.
PRO: New area (regulatory) in the unique therapeutic area I know well, and therefore an advancement so I am mostly excited to do this
PRO: Large established company
CON: Not being considered for higher position
CON: Recruiter is quite aggresssive
CON: Relocate wife and baby from north-east to south-south-east with their pretty good relocation program
Company C: An employee submitted my resume for this project management position, involving a new therapeutic area for me, but not as hot, at a small, local, contract manufacturing company. Growing fast so they are trying to fill three PM positions. At interview 2 weeks ago, HR asked me range, and following podcast, I gave 10% to 44% above my salary, saying I was flexible based on opportunity and benefits. HR told me salary is decided by HR, with some room for negotiation, and hiring manager not involved with that. Had 2nd interview last week and HR, very nervously, made offer two days later (Friday afternooon) 15% above my salary (they do not know my salary), but with weaker benefits compared to my current, large employer.
PRO: 10 miles further than current job, so no relocation
PRO: Gets me into project management, but job description is less than what I offer (education and experience), and I don't feel that excited
PRO: Gets exposed to lots of different things
CON: Disappointed they offered near the bottomn of my salary range, and really only 5% above current given less 401k matching, no pension, and more expensive / less comprehensive health insurance since wife has a condition, and without big company perks, security (generous severance), etc. I am used to
CON: Limited exposure because a contract lab, not the ones doing it
CON: Money will always be tight since it is a contract lab
CON: Contract labs not always seen as good on resume
If I did not get A or B, and volunteered to get laid off from current company and got our nice severance, I think Company C could be a decent option. Lay offs may not happen until Sep-Oct, and not sure I'd get let go.
I am conflicted because Mark said not to negotiate, and don't tell the hiring manager it's benefits aren't as good. The alternative is to decline Company C. Yet they want me, have three open positions, it's HR not hiring manager, so shouldn't I tell them my concerns? If Company A worked out, and we could relocate, nothing C did would make me choose them though. Company B interview is in two days, so I can see how that goes.
Should I tell recruiters for A or B anything that could help get me a better offer, or just do the best I can at the interview on Jul 3 and Jul 12?
Since this week is a holiday week, and all of them know I'm travelling out of the country week of Jul 8, that buys me a litle time. I have not sought advice from anyone in my network yet because for A and B, I don't have offers yet and I am excited about the possibility of both positions, just not trying to sell the house..