I work in IT as an associate director and my role will effectively disappear in 12 months. I know for a fact that my VP won't recommend me for any roles in the organization as he doesn't think highly of me now, even though he promoted me 18 months ago.
1. What are the chances if any of changing his mind? He's book smart, but focuses on his perception of what you didn't do rather than what was achieved. I challenged him and got a bad review and stopped reporting to him and moved to someone else. What approach can I take?
2. Are there any other methods of convincing someone at his level (VP) of interest or will they basically look like not being a team player?
3. No, i'm not as bad he makes out :-) I evaluate myself and i'm my biggest critic. I know the quality around me and I've also discovered where my skills lie.
4. I've been here a number of years and the pay off is decent so i'm waiting on that to be offered if nothing transpires, but i'd rather stay, it's a good company, good pay and benefits.
5. I'm working on 3-4 apps outside of work, nothing that will really set the world on fire, but keeps my creativity cogs turning. This is what i'd like to bring to this company.
Rant over :-)
Thank you for reading and providing your input.