A few months ago I started the job transition process. I've been following the MT guidance on how to handle this transition, and so far it has gone very smoothly. There are however a few complications that I could use some guidance on:
1. The director that I report to is located out of country (I'm in the US he is in the EU). This means that when I resign he won't be here in person. I think I'll have to resign over a phone call (he's not favorable to video chats, or else I would do that). I know this is not recommended, but I don't see a clear way around it without buying a plane ticket.
Any ideas on how to professionally handle a "remote resignation" is appreciated.
2. I will receive the written offer for my new job just as my director is leaving for 2 weeks vacation. I'll either have to contact him on vacation to resign, or wait till he gets back. If I wait until he returns it will add two weeks to the amount of time I need to tell my new company to wait for me to start. Requesting 4 weeks to make a professional transition is already stretching them (or at least that's what they say, I suspect it's just their HR wanting to avoid a flight risk). Given the remote nature of my team, I don't want to cut the 4 weeks short. But asking for 6 weeks is a stretch. I haven't asked for 6 weeks yet, but I feel like this is the best option.
Any thoughts on extending the request to 6 weeks? Any ideas on how to smooth over the extended transition tie request?