Forums

 Alright, I've applied for two jobs and two companies. 

Job at Company A: It's a good job with good pay and benefits. It's not what I want to do long term, but they are prepared to offer me a position. 

Job at Company B: It's the job of my dreams. I've always wanted this exact job, at this exact company...but they haven't made an offer yet. I interviewed for the job yesterday, and they said they would be in touch in the coming weeks. 

My Problem: It's a classic "Bird in the Hand" situation. I'm not sure what to do. Is it acceptable to request that Company A wait for a little while? Will they be offended? 

 

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

scm2423's picture

I think this is a simple issue.  At this point you only have one offer, so the choice is do you take it or not.  Just because you were interviewed for your dream job does not mean you are going to get an offer.  So are you prepared to loose out on something in hopes of getting something else?  I think only you can answer that question.

s

duplicate_account_MarkAus's picture

Agree with the above - until you've got something you've got nothing.  Weigh up the options using a baseline of where you are now.   New information down the track will. by definition, require a new decision at that point.

Whatever you do, don't string company A along until you get a response from company B.   They'll see right through you and may withdraw the offer - then you truly will have no options.

 

 

cjp147's picture

I mostly agree with the other two posts, except I don't think you have to make a decision w/out more info from Company B.  But, you can certainly request some time by being open and honest with Company A.  There is nothing wrong with simply saying, "Thanks for the offer!  I'm really excited about this opportunity, however, I did recently interview for another opportunity and I am awaiting their decision.  I expect to know by ___."  [that can probably be worded much better!]

This does not mean you are simply looking for a better offer (from another opp or from them).  To me, as a hiring manager, this just means you want to make the best decision for yourself and you want as much information as possible.   Also, when you follow-up with Company B, I think it makes sense to let them know you have an offer in hand and you are excited about their (Company B) opportunity, but you'd like to get back to Company A with an answer, so it would help to know if/when they are going to make their decision.  I think that is very reasonable.  They should be able to give you a good idea where they are at in the process.

ProcReg's picture

Receive the offer, absolutely. Don't say a word about company B as you do it. That's like asking a girl to prom and her say, "Thanks, but I'm waiting on the Quarterback; if he doesn't ask, I'll go with you." Ouch.

I'd go to Company B and say, "Company, I really like you guys and would love to come work there, but I have an offer out there, and i'm trying to make the best possible decision." If they're interested in you, they'll let you know how their process works and you'll have some more information with which to make your decision. Of course, they might tell you to take the offer, because we have another candidate.

I feel like everyone needs have all the information in as real time as it can be.

"It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed." - Theodore Roosevelt

"Public opinion is a weak tyrant to that of private thought." HD Thoreau Walden

danielcampbell's picture

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've got a lot to think about. Hopefully it will all work out well in the end. Again, thanks everybody. It's very much appreciated. 

mmann's picture

Are you sporting a new business card these days?

--Michael

jyork23's picture

 An excellent question. As I was reading the thread and seeing that it had a little age to it, I was wondering myself how the situation shook itself out.