Good day all.
First things, the interview series is worth every penny. Studying the content provided helped nail down a new position that came up. Anyone on the fence regarding that product, don't hesitate if it is something that you are considering.
So, I tendered my resignation (according to the way recommended by MT!) and a day later I received a counter. I'll flesh out the scenario to provide you the situation I'm in.
I really disliked the position I held at my current company for a long time due to stress and not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I wasn't enjoying things and it was really negatively impacting my self esteem. It didn't get to the point where I was distributing my resume on job boards, but I had a date in mind when I would aggresively pursue a change of scenery. Through my brother in law I was made aware of a job opening in the company he works at, its a major financial instituation. I submitted my resume and after a couple of interviews I received the offer. It is a lateral move (money is the same), but it releases me of a 24/7 365 on call roll and there is an extra week of vacation...also a very happy wife that I'm not bound to my phone at all hours.
So the day after I submitted my resignation, I was approached by our CEO and many people at the VP level and made a counter offer.
-25% increase in pay.
-They are moving me from an operational role to a consultative role (told point blank - NO on call duties period) - I had let them know that the operational role was something that I was no longer holding since I was burnt out and did not want any on call responsibilities.
-Shares in the company (its privately held currently and only a handful of people have shares right now).
Also I work with a close friend in the company, someone that I have worked with before and I would be reunited with him in the new role. It has been made abundantly clear that they really want to keep me ( I have a great deal of respect for our CEO and it was very difficult resigning to him in the first place ).
Some other points...
Close family doesn't really believe the promises that are being made so they prefer I up and leave.
The companies are drastically different, one of the people giving me advice said it comes down to how risk averse I am and how dynamic of an environment I want to be in...
Is it ethical to accept and sign an offer only to bail out before the start date (currently three weeks away)
I told my current employers that I will let them know my decision on Monday.
So with the above spattering of comments, any advice??
PS - I love manager tools, thank you so much to Mike and Mark for all that you do!