I run a team with 7 people currently working for me with another few possibly joining in the coming months.
The team naturally fit into two groups, each of which work together. Given this affinity and my desire to delegate some of my tasks I'm thinking of appointing team leaders in each of the two groups.
Thinking so far is that the team leaders would
- plan and track resource allocation & report this to me
- manage some of the processes we need to support
- act as an escalation point for their part of the team
They would not
- Be line managers (do annual reviews - but would contribute)
- manage any finances
Does anyone have any thoughts on
- Who I should have one-on-ones with
- How to communicate these plans
- Positioning the team leader relative to the rest of the teams in terms of seniority/first amongst equals etc
- Handling situations where a team member needs to come to me directly rather than via team leader
Any other thoughts/contributions much appreciated