I need help with how to work on my relationship/communication with my direct and would like feedback on my proposed approach, which is this:
"Direct, Am calling to follow up to our discussion yesterday and your subsequent e-mail. Based on the fact that you used email to communicate your discomfort , coupled with copying HR, combined with your tendency not bring updates or be forthcoming with information at our regular meetings, really speaks to a communication breakdown that needs to be remedied. As your supervisor, I am your rep and advocate to the rest of the company and I am only effective in this if we have effective communication, so I want to work on this with you.
Are you available on Monday to discuss further?"
Here is the e-mail that was sent just minutes after our last discussion:
"Boss, Thank you for notifying me that you would like to be informed before I not bill to vacation when I worked over my regular hours for the week. I will notify you before I make the decision to not bill to “vacation” time vs using billable hours. However, I would appreciate it that in the future that discussions that are personal to me be handled in a more private setting. It find it very uncomfortable and inappropriate."
The discussion happened in the cubicle area with no nearby employees. Immediate issues are:
- coming to O3 with no updates
- not keeping me informed on projects, etc. - I feel like I'm on a need to know basis
- defensiveness when approached on issues like schedule or timecard
- immediately sending an e-mail after our last conversation andy copying HR
The background is this:
- person was brought over through an aquisition >2 years ago
- her peers and managers have since left
- have had some performance issues, which have been coached
- recently survivied a layoff, and seems to acknoeldge that
- is a part-time exempt employee
- is argumentative with me from day 1