Have you ever worked with someone that was incompetent but you could do nothing about it? Well, this pretty much summs up my problem and I'm wondering if there's anything I can do about it.
Here's the situation. I do a lot of cross-department projects, involving sales, marketing, development, etc. so I get to work with several different managers. More recently I've been working more closely with the head of one department in particular and have realized that this guy is worthless. Here are a few of my concerns about him:
- He never makes a decision. He is always trying to get you to decide something for him, even if it has nothing to do with your area. In the rare case where he decides something, if it turns out to have been a bad decision he changes his stance and says that it wasn't his decision.
- He takes credit for ideas even when they were not his ideas.
- He doesn't back you up. In a couple of different situations where we had come up with a decision and were presenting to the CEO, at the first sight of pushback from the CEO instead of him helping me explain why we chose a certain path, he immediately sided with the CEO as if he had never worked in the project.
- He doesn't know his business/department. This became clear after several meetings we had where he had to ask someone on his staff for the data because he didn't know the answer to some basic metrics he should be tracking religiously and is being measured against.
- He is always trying to get out of doing any kind of work. If there's something that needs to get done, he tries to get other people to do the work. Now, this is a very interesting "skill" he has, not sure how he does it but somehow afteer we discuss what needs to be done, everyone has an item on their list and he doesn't. Is funny a couple of times, but has become the norm. And if he ends up with anything on his plate, the result is so bad you have to basically redo.
These are just the most glaring examples of what's bothering me latetly. People that work with him have also complained to me about similar things.
My problem is that he doesn't work for me, otherwise he would have been fired ages ago. And he's one level higher than I am in the org chart.