Product Development Project Manager
Shure - Niles, IL, USA
Located just to the north of Chicago, Shure is involved in every aspect of design, engineering, sales, marketing and manufacturing of microphones, pro audio gear and consumer electronics. Throughout the history of our company, the success and reputation of the Shure brand has been defined by our continuous commitment to Total Quality, and it shows with every product we make. Put simply; microphones and audio electronics are our life. So whether you're a life-long Shure groupie, or purchasing Shure products for the first time, we're confident you'll experience the same level of Total Quality audio professionals have appreciated for over 80 years. Shure was voted one of Chicago's "101 Best and Brightest Companies to Work For" in 2006, 2007, and 2008.
We currently have an opportunity for a Project Manager to join our Product Development Team at our Corporate Headquarters in Niles, IL. In this role you will direct and supervise the activities of New Product Project Teams.
Under the direction of the Program Director and/or Program Manager, leads and supervises the activities of Project Teams following Shure’s “Blue Ribbon” Product Development Process. Responsible and accountable for the successful completion of Projects within committed boundaries and to organizational standards.
· Works with Program Director and/or Program Manager to form and co-locate Product Development Core Teams. Negotiates with participating departments to obtain the full and part-time Team Members. Works with Managers in coordinating the use of Company resources.
· Supervises the activities of the Core Team in the development of Project Team Product Proposals (PTPP). Negotiates scope of work and details of Project Charter together with Team and Project Stakeholders.
· Supervises the activities of the Team in developing a Project Plan that achieves both Project and Company goals. Guides and resolves conflict. Coordinates estimation of project manpower and task duration to determine overall project timeframe.
· Assesses project risk in key areas (budget, schedule, quality/functionality, cost) throughout the project. Communicates risks to the Project Team and Project Stakeholders. Coordinates mitigation tasks.
· Accountable for team’s performance to project targets of schedule, project cost, product cost, feature completeness, and product quality.
· Maintains the project schedule, monitors progress against the schedule, and guides project decision-making to adhere to schedule targets. Works with Functional Managers to identify and resolve issues preventing on-time delivery of functional deliverables.
· Approves all project expenditures, monitors the budget, and guides project decision making to adhere to budget targets.
· Utilizes standard project management tools and templates as outlined by the Program Management department according to standards of consistency and timeliness.
· Responsible for team compliance to the Blue Ribbon Process.
· Reports Team progress to project governance bodies. Responsible for completion of project reports and collateral for project reviews.
· Communicates effectively across all levels of the organization. Negotiates changes to project scope and targets as necessary. Able to exhibit leadership in situations without formal authority.
· Acts as a change agent within the Team. Communicates final decisions to Team regarding direction and objectives in a way that maximizes buy-in and progress toward goals.
· Contributes in Shure relationships with outside design firms, co-development partners, and vendors in order to achieve project goals. Works with Supply Chain associates to negotiate with outside partners.
· Leads technical problem solving efforts by exploring alternatives, soliciting opinion, pursuing root cause, and coordinating experiments. Uses good judgment in selecting practical, effective, and timely solutions. Uses priority to reconcile tradeoffs and expedite team progress.
· Provides leadership to Project Teams through motivation, influence, and coaching of Team Members and Department Managers. Engages teams through encouragement and empowerment.
· Leverages deep knowledge of organizational roles and responsibilities to guide activities. Builds relationships with Stakeholders and Project Team Members that enable Project Manager leadership.
· Continuously improves working knowledge of key disciplines (e.g., electrical, mechanical, acoustical, and software engineering; marketing; operations and quality) that allow for effective leadership of cross-functional Teams.
· Reviews all project activities at the end of a project. Compiles project lessons learned and assesses project adherence to targets. Suggests improvements for the revision of the Blue Ribbon Process.
· Other duties as assigned.
Requirements: (1 year of college is equivalent to 2 years of experience)
· BS degree in related field or equivalent, MS or MBA desirable.
· Minimum of 8 years experience in new product implementation
· Minimum of 4 years experience leading teams in a direct report or dotted/matrix environment.
· Experience with techniques such as Design of Experiments, FMEA, or concurrent engineering.
· Experience leading projects involving some or all of the following disciplines: Analog and Digital Audio Circuitry, Signal Processing, User Interface, Microphones, Earphones/Headphones, Mechanical Design, Wireless / RF Systems, Packaging, Software Engineering (Graphical, Networking, Embedded).
· Leadership and participation in engineering design review processes.
· Requirements analysis, elicitation, and systems engineering.
· Experience with products requiring domestic and international agency approvals (FCC, ETSI, CE, UL, TUV, etc.)
· PMI PMP certification or PDMA NPDP certification.
5800 W Touhy
Niles, IL 60714, USA