I was approached by my Boss and she told me that she didn't think I was managing one of my Directs well.
The Boss has been "skipping" me in working with this Direct and palling around with her at work and at conferences.
Now my Boss told me she wants to realign this Direct out from under me to be a peer.
There will still be about 25% of assignments and tasks for which she must report to me. However, the other 75% she will report directly to the Boss.
And the Boss will do the Annual Reviews.
I hired this direct 1 1/2 year ago.
I gave this Direct a great review.
I get along well with this direct and she is a very high performer.
This Direct is a fellow Degreed Professional. (Whereas my other Directs are FrontLine Paraprofessionals)
The Boss has always complimented me on how I manage my other directs (for 7 years).
When the Boss asked me what I thought :
1. I asked for specific examples that prompted this idea. And got some.
2. I asked for more time, she agreed to allow 3 months to improve.
This is what prompted me to listen to and join Manager Tools
I plan to start doing O3's with her and roll out the Trinity to the rest of my directs in the coming year.
I thought this was a good start since one of the major complaints was that I did not know enough about what my Direct has been doing and all of the projects she has been working on with the Boss.
How else should I handle this ?
Any Ideas or suggestions are welcome.