I’m in a situation about trying to get hired at my current company and accepting an offer from another just come in.
I’ve re-listened to all of the Offer / Acceptance podcasts and still have questions, maybe I’m missing something.
To ask this of the forum effectively I unfortunately have to provide a bit of a lengthy background. I may need to revise it after posting to add details I miss on the first attempt.
- Medium sized company, regional, stable, recession-proof
- Just successfully completed a large assignment there
- My 1-year contract was extended a few months
- Now working for the Head of Department T, she is retiring soon, Mrs. Managing Director
- Was working for her 3-down on last assignment
- Issue is current role is not clear role and timing of it becoming clear or another role there: There may be one but not in the timeframe; there may not be one in the end
- A few in management mentioned they were considering to bring me on Perm, including Mrs. MD (but she said this last year)
- So-so pay (might be addressed with a contract renegotiation or coming on Perm)
- Large, international company, stable but not recession-proof
- Role on offer is similar to current role, difference in that the hiring manager, other team members come from a consulting background, I don’t and am not sure how well I would do in the role
- Good pay
- Much prefer Perm to contracting
- Am not seeing many Perm roles for some time now
- I was always Perm before this current role
- Many years of experience
- Just got an offer from Company B for a 1-year contact
- Contract at Company A is up in a few weeks and not sure it will be extended
- Company A boss is ; she give little to no direction, is frustrated by the lack of direction on New Assignment (X) but has committed herself to it
- Company A other senior manager, Mr. Business Head, told me last year that he had a place for me in his organization, pulled me into it on an assignment, then got moved into Mrs. Managing Director’s area to work on Mr. Business Head’s initiative (there is a lot more to this part of the story which I will do in a separate post, as I really need to bounce it off you good people)
- Mr. Business Head is lightly more senior than Mrs. Managing Director
- First choice: a Perm role at either Company A or Company B
- Preference is to stay at Company A, the Devil You Know, plus I just like the place
- Want to see what Company B can do about becoming perm if good performance
I will meet with Mrs. Managing Director in a few days. She can be temperamental and likely to be frustrated by someone coming to her about a role that she may not have, and now that it has a time limit (Company B offer acceptance timing), that will exacerbate things.
What I am trying to avoid is she feeling backed into a corner to find a role quickly and dismiss me due to that.
I really don’t know how to make that meeting successful. If any of you have ideas, please let me know, this may be one for Wendi, Mike and Mark.