I am currently working on a presentation for a German university about adventure coaching. Therefore I created an 14-day expedition through the Grand Canyon National Park. The expedition would start with an 2-day training in the wilderness near Flagstaff. During the camp stay, 8 participants (managers), 1 coach and 1 guide would teach the group hard skills (wilderness medicine, building shelter, primitive living skills, using maps and compass...) and soft skills (how to behave when being lost, dealing with frustration, loneliness, sickness, death...) as a preparation for the expedition.
After those two days the expedition will start in order to reach following goals:
- personal development
- leadership skills
- outdoor knowledge and experience
- group dynamic
- risk management
- self awareness
Those goals will be approched during the expedition by including following program:
- hiking (sometimes up to 20km a day)
- everyday reflection of the day
- everyday theoretical seminars about leadership development, group leading in the company environment (such like a seminar you probably have attended many times on weekends (Dale Carnegie etc.); but those seminars will be outdoors and the practical experience you have gained during the day will be transferred into your daily life. Basically you will be able to apply what you have learned on the expedition in your company)
- visit of the Hopi Indians to get explained how to bake their traditional bread by using hands and facial expressions to communicate with them
-> intercultural communication
- lots of hiking by using compass and maps -> paritcipants will take turns in leading the group
- rock climbing
- building shelter in the wilderness
- camping at camp grounds
- cooking on fire
- purifying water
- role play (participants solve tasks in and with the group by playing a certain character)
- night hike up the Devil's Cork Screw Trail at the Grand Canyon
- mule ride up the Canyon to the South Rim
- 3-day stay on a horse ranch, to be taught leadership skills by horse (coaching by horse); including a overnight horse ride
- visit of the salt lakes near Las Vegas
- Solo (night alone in the wilderness)
- 2-day stay in Las Vegas including a hot-air balloon ride
That would be the expedition explained shortly.
For my presentation at the university I would be very grateful if you could answer me following questions:
1. What do you think about the idea?
2. Have you ever heard of a similar idea?
3. if yes, which company or organization offers something similar
4. Do you think a company would send their manager two weeks on such
5. Should the expedition be shorter?
6. How much money would be worth such an expedition; food and accommodation included, but without the flights to Flagstaff and from Las Vegas?
7. Do you think the expedition could be included within a TQM (Total
Quality Management) concept?
8. Would you be interested in such an expedition?
9. Do you know people who would be interested?
10. Is there an advice you would like to give me to make my expedition
Thank you very much for helping me.
You could also answer me via e-mail:
Thank you very much,