Hypothetically, what if the plan was to resign but you think your manager might have a promotion lined up for you before then? Your intention to resign remains the same. How do you handle that particular discussion?


HMac's picture

I'm having a little trouble following you.

If I understand you, you think you might be offered a promotion when you resign?

If your reasons for resigning go beyond the particular position you're in, then they still apply to the possible promotion (examples: bad fit with the company, want to leave the industry, seeking to chnage the direction of your career...).

Put another way: If the only reason you're resigning is dissatisfaction with your current job role, then you might have trouble turning down a promotion...

Advice: think clearly through the reasons for resigning. But honest with your boss about those reasons. Exception: if the reason you're resigning is that you can't stand your boss, you'll have to come up with something else to say!


ashdenver's picture

It almost sounds to me like you've already decided to resign but haven't conveyed your concerns about the working conditions at your current employer (people, technology, pay, hours, etc.) which means either your boss isn't very approachable or you've "wimped out" along the way to share your concerns. [Not judging; more like speaking from experience! LOL]

Either way, if or when your current manager broaches the subject (along the lines of "I'm working on getting your promotion put through") you might just need to bite the bullet and speak up. If you're close to putting in your resignation, I'd go with "I hate to see you waste your time, here's my resignation." If you're not quite ready yet, I'd go with "I'm not sure I feel ready for the increased responsibility and I'd feel better if you held off for a little while."

Honestly though, I'd say just let things happen and see if the promotion comes through before Resignation Day. You never know if the promotion and change in duties will make things more tolerable for you at the organization.

I have a Resignation Letter on my laptop from 2004. Each time I was ready to print, sign & turn it in, something would change and I'd convince myself "maybe things will get better" so I'd ride it out. I've had three promotions in five years and gone up in pay about $25,000 in that time. In retrospect, I'm *glad* I didn't pre-emptively put the kibosh on any promotions.

coulesa's picture

All great advice guys. Let me clarify a little bit. Leaving for a trip may 6 and it's going to be 5 months (battling cancer and feel the need to see our planet). Length of trip too long for a leave of absence and considering my MBA when I return. Bottom line is that I giving my 4 weeks on April 6 and have a feeling a promotion discussion might happen soon. If the discussion does happen, do I spill the beans earlier then planned? Thanks

asteriskrntt1's picture


Sorry to hear about your health issues. I wish you luck in this fight.

If you are at a company of any size, you likely have a benefits plan. I would think that if I was going into a battle with cancer, I would not want to walk away from any financial resources available to me.

Second, they might put you on a disability plan and not a leave of absence.

From your language choice (spilling the beans), I can't help but speculate that you are hoping to surprise your boss and leave them in an awkward or uncomfortable position. If this is not accurate, I apologize.

Here is how it shakes out. You are going to be leaving your boss down 2 positions, the one you are vacating and the one he/she has to promote. Would you want to have your employees do this to you? Maybe your boss has some alternatives. Communicate communicate communicate.


TheBuzz's picture

All the best in your cancer fight.

I'd suggest going ahead with appropriate disclosure to your manager about your health situation and the leave that you want to take.

Likely that you have some vacation time that could be used before you were officially on an LOA. Plus, you may be entitled to some benefits under the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993. If you qualify, that could be worth 12 weeks of unpaid leave--- but (here comes the biggie) your medical insurance would stay in place as though you were still working. I'd think that would be a big advantage to someone facing cancer, since other insurance is likely to be expensive if you can even get it.

Dependin on how far you can stretch your coverage, you might need to be a bit flexible on your plan for a 5 month leave.

I'd do my best to position myself for a return to the current employer.

For this reason, I would not disclose the potential to go to B-school at this point. It is an entirely different issue and your plans may change depending on what happens with your health. Also, the B-school application and selection process can take awhile. You would be better off earning an income if that doesn't happen right away.