Forums

Hi,

I am have to write up my department objecitves for 2011. We have never really had objectives before and worked off about 5 KPIs. I have been assigned the tasks of writing our goals and objectives for 2011 but too be honest I dont know where to start.

I could think of 50 different projects we could work on but I know only 12 could be fitted alongside the day to day stuff. Therefore,

1) How many projects should we have on the go?

2) Should they be monthly or quarterly (again this is decided on size I suppose.

What I am asking is for pointers from people on how they go about this when they sit down in Oct and plan for a strategy to be rolled out in January 2011.

Regards

Cliff

mi5mark's picture

Alot of it depends, how big the team is, how you are going to divide up the projects or lead them all yourself?

I would keep it simple for now. Align it with the bigger picture objectives, i.e. the company priorities, have a brainstorm and pick the best few ideas.

In the past I have had a facilitator do work with one of my teams so we can plan for the year ahead. Picked a few projects, about 5 and each one was aligned with the company objectives. These 5 workstreams were then aligned to objectives set out in appraisels.

I would meet monthly as a minimum but it depends on the project, some projects you would have to meet weekly or even daily at times.

So not a full answer but I suppose each situation is slightly different.

MM