Forums

I am curious if seeing 360 assessments that were conducted about 6 months ago, prior to my arrival, would be useful.

I have been trying to stay as unbiased as possible as others will have read from my previous posts and my VP's push on a reorg.  Aside from this, I know that the 360's were conducted and could have some useful information.  I have already met with the team individually and participated in group meetings and continually engage the staff at all levels, and so I think I am curious as to how my judgements compare to the 360's.

Would you?  And if so or if not, why?

Thanks

tlhausmann's picture
Licensee BadgeTraining Badge

Hmmm. Just to clarify...you are considering a personal request to see the 360 reviews of the mid-level managers reporting to you. Correct?

Normally, I would say "more data is better." However, having seen personnel reviews written by others that, in my view, were incomplete or off-base I am more inclined to gather my own data and draw conclusions based on that. Manager Tools offers tremendous guidance on writing great reviews.

While you are being pressured to make structural changes right away--truncating the outright unprofessional behavior is an important first step for improving interpersonal relationships and (ultimately) any re-org successful.

PeteDenton's picture

Manager Tools also has great advice on 360 reviews and how the way they are administered can have a real impact. If you've not listened to those podcasts I recommend you do.

Off the top of my head the main concrn is about how truthfully someone will contribute of they think either the subject of the review or the contributor's own manager will be able to identify them from their comments.

The two main things I recall them suggesting would add validity to 360 reviews were:

• ensuring the process was fully administered by an external organisation who produced anonymised reports rather than giving access to raw data
  • ensuring that the universe of people contributing to the review was large

Of course, I may have completely mis-remembered...

Pete

Mark's picture
Admin Role Badge

Mark

pdcb's picture

thanks for the replies.......

As to who's 360s - they are the 360's for my directs......is this useful?  It was not done by an independent company, the group is 30 people.  Apparently the 360's were not that anonymous just b/c of the small size of the group.  Some of the directs have mentioned what their reviews were like and some people shrugged it off, while others (the one's with bigger personalities that I would never think would have been un-nerved), are speaking in bits and pieces to me about it.  My directs are supervisors of others and got some information they were expecting.  I do not know the details, but I am curious.  I want to help them develop as better managers to "their people" and I was thinking this could be useful.  I don;t want to be biased and I think I have a good handle on my own opinions now, so should I look?  Or do I need any of this info?

Mark's picture
Admin Role Badge

The process that was followed sounds flawed enough to me that I'd not want to be biased by one wrong statement.

Suppose someone had, in their write up, three comments:  "Solid team player."  "Good process orientation and helpful."  "Smart, but sometimes arrogant about it and cuts others down."

I defy you to not give more weight to that last one.... but who knows whether that's from someone you would trust or someone who just had a falling out with the person in question.

Trust yourself, and let the data go.

Mark

pdcb's picture

Thanks!  Great to hear I'm thinking on the right path........sometimes we think that having lots of information is better than none......but I believed this was the exception.