I'm trying to improve the way I read and analyse status reports and was hoping for some thoughts from the community.
I see the purpose of reading a status report is to look for:
- RAG status
- Things that require action from me or my team
- Risks, issues, assumptions & dependencies that may affect me or my team
- Completeness and correctness of status
- Understanding the progress of key deliverables and when they will be delivered
- Keeping tabs on items under escalation
So the questions I ask:
- Is the overall status correct (assuming a RAG status is present)
- Do the status items require action from me?
- Does this describe a risks or issues that requires attention?
- Are risks and issues being explicitly called out?
- Are the risks and issues being managed? If yes, managed appropriately
- Are the assumptions and dependencies being explicitly tracked? Are they complete / correct?
- Is the report itself complete and correct?
- Is there anything requiring an escalation or that may lead to an escalation
Anything other considerations?