BLUF: When layoffs are on the horizon, do you actively search for new employment? And if you get a job offer, is it wise to take the new job?
About a month ago, our CEO announced that we would be restructuring across the board to "bring us all closer to the client" and flatten the organization. We were told (repeatedly) that this would impact managers. This announcement was made the day after we laid off a number of line-workers, the closest layer to the clients. We were told that we would have resolution on this organizational effectiveness initiative by mid-July or early-August.
Setting aside the fact that I think it's completely boneheaded to announce something like this and ignoring the method in which they intend to conduct their review (reviewing the CEO's DR's and then moving down the chain), the question then becomes: Is it imperative to immediately search for new employment?
I've always kept my Monster.com notifier going and usually the positions listed are for line-worker positions. Coincidentally enough, the same day the CEO announced layoffs, I had not one but two listings from Monster at the manager level. (Talk about lightning striking twice!)
I dismissed the first opportunity after speaking with the headhunter (pay range) and I made it through the phone screening for the second opportunity. I meet with the local folks on Thursday for a panel interview for this second position.
Recognizing that I don't have anything to decide until there's something to be decided, assuming I ultimately end up with a job offer that I'd be interested in (pay wise, corporate culture, etc.), my husband insists that "if you have a legitimate job offer in one hand paying the same amount or more and you have a non-zero chance of being laid off in one to three months in the other hand, you HAVE to take the job offer."
I don't necessarily want to leave where I currently work. I actually enjoy it here now that I'm a manager, with 6 yrs tenure and nearing the end of the line on my degree through the company's tuition assistance program. My team is great and I actually don't mind coming to work anymore.
I also don't want to be so vain as to believe that I would be immune from being laid off. I'm pretty good at my job and my boss seems to like me but it'll be a matter of how I stack up against others in my level. I have fairly low seniority which will likely count against me (assuming they go through the same process we went through when we did the line-layoffs.)
If I get a job offer in writing, I don't believe my current employer would provide me with a matching salary (considering they preceeded the first round of layoffs with "no merit increases this year!") nor do I think they'd give me an employment contract for a year or two guaranteeing I wouldn't be laid off.
I know that there are a lot of steps between here and there. I don't have a job offer yet so this is essentially a hypothetical situation at this point. When I interview on Thursday, I don't intend to tell the other company that we're facing layoffs - only that I'm looking for a new challenge in a field closer to my background (which their position would provide.)
Assuming that a job offer presents itself, is it advisable to:
- take the job offer unilaterally?
- present it to the current employer in the hopes of a counteroffer?
- turn down the job offer in the hopes that a layoff won't come?
This is the one and only time / situation in which I wouldn't feel like a traitor for searching for another job but it outright stinks that the CEO put us in this situation by announcing these layoffs so far out. (Seriously, do they think that the announcement will get the POOR performers to leave of their own accord?!)