Forums

I've listened to the podcast on "How to Handle Offers" and I feel it is directed at recent graduates as they interview for multiple positions.  I'm trying to apply that advice to my near 19 year career and need thoughts on how to handle 2 potential offers - one internal and one external of my current employer.  

The question is, do I advise my current employer that I have a job offer in case they are prepared to offer me the internal position?

First I know that until I got something, I got nothing.  The internal position is a "probable" meaning that I expect I would be the first choice for the position.  It's a newly created position and I'm not 100% confident that the position will go through before the end of the year.  

The external position is more of a certainty.  The hiring manager set a meeting with me in what I expect will be the offer.  I was recommended for the position my a friend currently at the company, and he has let me know that the hiring manager's boss thanked him for recommending me for the position.   

If I'm offered the internal position first, then I'm okay advising the external company that I have another offer.  I doubt this will occur given the lack of speed that has already been exhibited.  

If I receive the external position first, do I let my current company know in case they are interested in offering me the internal position.  

I've intentionally tried to boil this down to the basics without reference to which job I would prefer.  While I can evaluate one or both offers for myself, I'm interested in the general advice on how to address this scenario.

Thanks!

katehorstman's picture

Have you listened to our cast on How Not To Accept An Offer - Playing Two Offers Off Against Each Other or Taking a Job When You’re Waiting for Another Offer? The link to these casts is below. We do not recommend that you try to speed up of slow down an offer based on another offer or that you turn down an offer for a potential offer. Until you have something, you have nothing. :)

When you try to negotiate, you're taking goodwill out of the equation and pitting things against each other. The process within each company usually cannot be overly influenced in terms of speed by your working the two against each other.

It sounds like you're waiting for both offers. If this is the case, continue to go through the process and let things naturally occur. If you have one, then you need to decide: is this the offer you want? If it is, take it. Never turn down an offer you HAVE for an offer you MIGHT have. And don’t overrate the potential offer. It’s human nature to do this, but it doesn’t serve us well in the job market.

I hope everything goes really well and you get exactly what you want. Hope these casts help!

https://www.manager-tools.com/2013/01/how-not-accept-offer-chapter-1-playing-two-offers-against-each-other

https://www.manager-tools.com/2014/08/taking-a-job-when-youre-waiting-another-offer

 

Best of luck!

Kate

wittensworld's picture

Hi,

I guess for me, it all depends on what the relationship is like at your current employer. It sounds like it's good and if that's the case then why not be straight up about the other job? (when you have a firm offer on the table though) Sometimes as employers we can be a bit slow in getting things over the line because we don't know that the ideal person for the job might leave if we don't get moving! It's not about creating a competition if you use the right words. Approach gently and with an air of vulnurability such as asking for advice and see what the response is. Don't approach with aggression like it's an ultimatum otherwise you'll probably have just removed one of your options.

At the end of the day it's about doing what's right for you and any manager worth their salt will encourage you this way. The meeting to clarify the offer at the external company might just make your mind up for you! Maybe a more established position is the best strategic move - newly created positions can be removed as quickly as they are created.

Good luck with your choice.

Simon @ WittensWorld